School occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants are key contributors within the New Story Schools education team. While some schools have these professionals on staff, some contract out with area resources to provide these services. In either case, they help students by supporting their academic achievement and promoting positive behaviors necessary for learning. They help students by supporting their academic achievement and promoting positive behaviors necessary for learning. School occupational therapists support academic and behavioral and therapeutic outcomes, including social skills, math, reading and writing, self-help skills, prevocational/vocational participation and more.
Occupational therapy practitioners have specific knowledge and expertise to increase participation in school routines throughout the day.
- Reducing barriers that limit student participation within the school environment
- Providing assistive technology to support student success
- Supporting the needs of students with signiﬁcant challenges, such as by helping to determine methods for alternate educational assessment and learning
- Helping to identify long-term goals for appropriate post-school outcomes
- Helping to plan relevant instructional activities for ongoing implementation in the classroom
- Preparing students for successfully transitioning into appropriate post–high school employment, independent living, and/or further education
Learn more about our other Educational Services and Behavioral and Therapeutic Services below.
Social-emotional learning (SEL) is the process of understanding and managing...Learn More Click here to learn more about our social-emotional learning programs.
The goal of counseling at New Story Schools is to enhance the student’s participation...Learn More Click here to learn more about counseling services at New Story Schools.
Trauma Informed Approach
A trauma informed approach shifts the focus from what the behavior of concern...Learn More Click here to learn more about how New Story Schools employs trauma-informed care.