Social-emotional learning (SEL) is the process of understanding and managing emotions, setting and achieving positive goals, feeling and showing empathy for others, establishing and maintaining positive relationships, and making responsible decisions.
New Story Schools integrates SEL into all aspects of the academic day through:
- Lessons designed to enhance students’ social and emotional competence
- Teaching practices such as cooperative learning and project-based learning
- Integration of SEL and academic curriculum
- Strategies to promote SEL as a schoolwide initiative that creates a climate and culture conducive to learning
Benefits of Social-Emotional Learning include:
- Positive social behavior
- Less emotional distress
- Improved academic performance
- Fewer behavior problems
- Improved Attitudes
Learn more about our other Educational Services and Behavioral and Therapeutic Services below.
The goal of counseling at New Story Schools is to enhance the student’s participation...Learn More Click here to learn more about counseling services at New Story Schools.
Trauma Informed Approach
A trauma informed approach shifts the focus from what the behavior of concern...Learn More Click here to learn more about how New Story Schools employs trauma-informed care.
Speech and Language Therapy
Many New Story Schools students benefit from our speech and language...Learn More Click here to learn about our related service of speech therapy.