A trauma informed approach shifts the focus from what the behavior of concern is to why it is occurring. Applying a trauma informed approach at New Story Schools includes recognizing the negative impact trauma has in all areas of an individual’s life and developing responses to behaviors of concern which are focused on collaboration with the student to determine the root cause of the behavior.
New Story Schools promotes trauma informed care through:
- Warning students of potential surprises or changes in routine
- Utilizing verbal, written and pictorial directions
- Developing connection routines with each student (a special handshake or high-five)
- Empowering students to have control in choices when possible
- Practicing transitions
- Celebrating positive behaviors
- Seek solutions instead of consequences
- Promoting a school-wide culture of STARS (Set goals, be Team players, Accountable, Respectful and Safe)
- Create short-term, attainable goals
- Encouraging students to teach others what they know
Learn more about our other Educational Services and Behavioral and Therapeutic Services below.
Speech and Language Therapy
Many New Story Schools students benefit from our speech and language...Learn More Click here to learn about our related service of speech therapy.
School occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants...Learn More Click here to learn about our related service of occupational therapy.
Social-emotional learning (SEL) is the process of understanding and managing...Learn More Click here to learn more about our social-emotional learning programs.